Sunday, April 5, 2009

Friday Fun Site: Antipodes Map

I always wondered about this. When I was a little kid, I was always told that if I dug a hole deep enough, I would end up digging all the way through the earth and come back out in China. It turns out the geography of that notion is a little off. I would have actually wound up somewhere in the middle of the Indian Ocean.

This week's Fun Site is pretty simple. It's called an Antipodes Map.
"In geography, the antipodes of any place on Earth is its antipodal point; that is, the region on the Earth's surface which is diametrically opposite to it. Two points which are antipodal to one another are connected by a straight line through the centre of the Earth."
To use the site, just find your starting point in the top map and see the antipodes on the bottom map.

It should be noted that my China digging projects that I referenced actually occurred in suburban Pittsburgh, where I grew up, The map that I'm attaching shows the antipodal point for Atlanta, which is where most of my visitors are from. Either way, we'd still end up in the Indian Ocean.

Here's the link. Let's start digging!

No comments:

Post a Comment